Independent 0verseas Student
Call the London Office on +44 (0)20 7842 0800 for a consultation or an appointment.
To be eligible for an Onshore General Skilled visa, you must be highly skilled and satisfy the basic requirements.
In addition to this, you must:
- be ONSHORE in Australia when you make this application, and be in Australia at the time the visa is granted, holding a substantive student visa (any student visa other than ELICOS, AusAID, government sponsored and Defence Sector students or any Student visa with an 8535 condition attached); OR
- have held a substantive Student visa at some time in the six months immediately before making the application and have not become unlawful; OR
- be holders of a bridging visa A (Class WA) or Bridging visa B (Class WB) granted because you met the requirements for lodging a valid application for a Graduate Skilled (Temporary) visa
How do I apply?
Before you apply, you and/or your spouse should obtain evidence that you satisfy the basic requirements, as well as evidence of the following:
- that you have studied in Australia at an Australian educational institution for at least two years full time AND
- that you have completed an Australian degree, diploma or trade qualifications during the six months immediately preceding this application AND
- that your studies were conducted completely in English AND
- that the qualification awarded is relevant to your nominated occupation AND
- if you studied at more than one Australian educational institution, you must prove that you were awarded an Australian degree, diploma or trade qualification before you began studying at another Australian educational institution.
All applicants must meet current health and character requirements.
If you do not have a sponsor, you must also meet the points test and hold a positive skills assessment from a 60-point occupation on the SOL. If you have fully completed an Australian doctorate, however, then you only need to hold a positive skills assessment in a 50-point occupation.
Once you have obtained all of the evidence listed above, the application for Skilled-Independent Overseas Student Migration to Australia supported by all the relevant documents can be submitted to the Australia Skilled Processing Centre (ASPC) in Adelaide.
If you do have a sponsor, please see the following pages for information on the requirements.