Student visa

Australia's Student visa programme provides for the entry of overseas students who wish to undertake full-time study in registered courses in Australia.

Work rights for students have been made available so that students can supplement their income, rather than it being their sole source of funds.

Work rights are limited to 20 hours per week while their Australian institution is in session – no limits exist while the institution is not in session.

How do I apply for a Student visa?

You will need to fill out form 981i* - Applying in Australia for a Student Visa, which can be found on the Australian Department of Immigration and Multicultural Affairs' website at

How can I work while I study?

Students applying for Student visa for the first time will not be automatically granted permission to work in Australia. Students may only apply for a visa with work rights after they arrive in Australia and the student has commenced his/ her course of study. The charge for this is AUD$50.

Can I extend my stay in Australia? How?

Students can extend their stay in Australia by applying for a new visa before your current visa expires. To extend your student visa without changing the conditions of your visa, you must apply on form 157Y.